Every week I take a look at the current top ten country songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and give each song either a +1, a -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top ten country songs, with the highest possible score being a +10 and the lowest possible score being a -10. The goal of this exercise is to evaluate the current state of mainstream country music and determine if it’s improving or getting worse. To see the full list of hot country songs for this week, click here. Let’s take a look at this week’s top ten.
- Jason Aldean – “Burnin’ It Down” -1
- Sam Hunt – “Leave The Night On” -1
- Florida Georgia Line – “Dirt” +1
- Blake Shelton – “Neon Light” 0
- Frankie Ballard – “Sunshine & Whiskey” -1
- Carrie Underwood – “Something In The Water” +1
- Little Big Town – “Day Drinking” -1
- Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song” +1
- Keith Urban – “Somewhere In My Car” -1
- Luke Bryan – “Roller Coaster” 0
The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music: -2
The pulse remains the same at -2 despite a couple of changes. Chase Rice fell out of the top ten, which is always great to see. Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood’s “Somethin’ Bad” also fell out of the top ten. The two new additions are Little Big Town’s annoying “Day Drinking” and the bland pop country “Somewhere In My Car” by Keith Urban. So essentially two bad songs replaced two bad songs. The majority of the major releases in mainstream country music are now over, but there are two big events in November that will probably have an effect on the Billboard Top Ten Hot Country chart. First is the CMA Awards next Wednesday and the other big event is the release of Garth Brooks’ comeback album the following week. It’ll be interesting to see how big of an impact these two events will have on the charts.