Every week I take a look at the current top ten country songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and give each song either a +1, a -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top ten country songs, with the highest possible score being a +10 and the lowest possible score being a -10. The goal of this exercise is to evaluate the current state of mainstream country music and determine if it’s improving or getting worse. To see the full list of hot country songs for this week, click here. Let’s take a look at this week’s top ten.
- Carrie Underwood – “Something In The Water” +1
- Jason Aldean – “Burnin’ It Down” -1
- Sam Hunt – “Leave The Night On” -1
- Little Big Town – “Day Drinking” -1
- Blake Shelton – “Neon Light” 0
- Keith Urban – “Somewhere In My Car” -1
- Tim McGraw – “Shotgun Rider” +1
- Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song” +1
- Florida Georgia Line – “Dirt” +1
- Frankie Ballard – “Sunshine & Whiskey” -1
The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music: -1
The pulse remains the same at -1 this week. In fact the entire top ten remains the same, except a lot of shuffling took place. The two biggest changes both bring a smile to my face. Sam Hunt only lasted one week at #1 and falls to #3. The new #1 is Carrie Underwood’s “Something In The Water,” aided by the release of her greatest hits album. It’s great to not only see a good song sitting at the top again, but a female country artist too. The other big change was Florida Georgia Line’s “Dirt” falling five spots to #9 in the chart. Next week it could fall out completely. I’m sure their camp is pushing “Sun Daze” hard to replace it soon as it’s slowly creeping up the charts. For now enjoy an almost positive top ten country chart.