Every week I take a look at the current top ten country songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and give each song either a +1, a -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top ten country songs, with the highest possible score being a +10 and the lowest possible score being a -10. The goal of this exercise is to evaluate the current state of mainstream country music and determine if it’s improving or getting worse. To see the full list of hot country songs for this week, click here. Let’s take a look at this week’s top ten.
- Carrie Underwood – “Something In The Water” +1
- Sam Hunt – “Leave The Night On” -1
- Keith Urban – “Somewhere In My Car” -1
- Tim McGraw – “Shotgun Rider” +1
- Little Big Town – “Day Drinking” -1
- Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song” +1
- Blake Shelton – “Neon Light” 0
- Frankie Ballard – “Sunshine & Whiskey” -1
- Jason Aldean – “Burnin’ It Down” -1
- Florida Georgia Line – “Dirt” +1
The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music: -1
The pulse remains the same once again. For the third straight week the same songs remained in the top ten and just a bunch of shuffling occurred. Carrie Underwood remains at #1 and Jason Aldean’s “Burnin’ It Down” fell seven spots in the chart to #9. Both pieces of news bring a smile to my face. More good news: Florida Georgia Line is almost out of the top ten. There are several songs rising fast from 11-20, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we finally get some new songs in the top ten.