Every week I take a look at the current top ten country songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and give each song either a +1, a -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top ten country songs, with the highest possible score being a +10 and the lowest possible score being a -10. The goal of this exercise is to evaluate the current state of mainstream country music and determine if it’s improving or getting worse. To see the full list of hot country songs for this week, click here. Let’s take a look at this week’s top ten.
- Carrie Underwood – “Something In The Water” +1
- Tim McGraw – “Shotgun Rider” +1
- Keith Urban – “Somewhere In My Car” -1
- Sam Hunt – “Leave The Night On” -1
- Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song” +1
- Little Big Town – “Day Drinking” -1
- Brad Paisley – “Perfect Storm” +1
- Blake Shelton – “Neon Light” 0
- Frankie Ballard – “Sunshine & Whiskey” -1
- Jason Aldean – “Burnin’ It Down” -1
The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music: -1
The pulse once again remains at -1. The top ten however has finally changed after three straight weeks of the same songs. Florida Georgia Line’s “Dirt” fell out as expected and is replaced by Brad Paisley’s “Perfect Storm.” This was a song after further thinking that I realized I was too tough on in my original review of it. And I’ll take Paisley over Florida Georgia Line any day, even the newer Paisley music. With it being Black Friday and Christmas shopping season, the top ten rankings should continue to fluctuate through the rest of 2014.