Every week I take a look at the current top ten country songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and give each song either a +1, a -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top ten country songs, with the highest possible score being a +10 and the lowest possible score being a -10. The goal of this exercise is to evaluate the current state of mainstream country music and determine if it’s improving or getting worse. To see the full list of hot country songs for this week, click here. Let’s take a look at this week’s top ten.
- Tim McGraw – “Shotgun Rider” +1
- Carrie Underwood – “Something In The Water” +1
- Keith Urban – “Somewhere In My Car” -1
- Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song” +1
- Sam Hunt – “Leave The Night On” -1
- Brad Paisley – “Perfect Storm” +1
- Little Big Town – “Day Drinking” -1
- Florida Georgia Line – “Sun Daze” -1
- Eric Church – “Talladega” -1
- Jason Aldean – “Burnin’ It Down” -1
The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music: -2
The pulse drops from -1 to -2. The culprit? The return of Florida Georgia Line to the top ten. And with what I consider their worst song ever in “Sun Daze.” Everything about this song is terrible, especially the lyrics. Eric Church also makes it into the top ten this week with one of the weaker songs from his album, “Talladega.” As a result Frankie Ballard and Blake Shelton fall out of the top ten. I thought we would get a positive pulse by the end of the year, but I don’t think we are going to see it now. Maybe in 2015 if we are lucky.