2015 ACM New Artist of the Year Nominees Announced

Three_Stooges_1959

After several weeks of fan voting, the finalists for the 2015 ACM New Artist of the Year award have been announced. The finalists are Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett and Cole Swindell. Or as I like to refer to them as: Curly, Larry and Moe. The artists that missed out on being finalists were Tyler Farr, Brett Eldredge, Kip Moore, Chase Rice and Dan + Shay. So for those unaware before, you now know that this year’s ACM Award for New Artist of the Year was nothing but a sausage fest. Not a single female artist sniffed the award, which is a crying shame.

So breaking down these finalists, in my eyes none of them are deserving of winning the award. First you have Sam Hunt, whose popularity is absolutely soaring right now and is the odds on favorite to win this award. His metro-politan music (kudos to Trigger at Saving Country Music for making the perfect term for this music) that isn’t country in any way possible is dominating the airwaves and at the same time poisoning the genre. People who hate actual country music are flocking to this guy and in the process raking in tons of money for suits on Music Row.

Then you have Thomas Rhett, who has yet to make a single song to impress me. I mean at least Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line have at least made one song apiece that I like, but I’ve literally hated every song Rhett has released. He’s in the argument for artist who cashed in hardest on the bro country fad. Nobody would have any idea who this untalented guy is if it wasn’t for him whoring himself out to the popular sound. And having a dad who was once a popular country artist helps too.

Speaking of not having any talent, I can pretty much say the same thing for Cole Swindell as I did for Rhett above. Minus the famous father of course. Then again he also has the famous connection with Luke Bryan, as his previous career was slinging merchandise for Bryan. Never before have I seen an artist so devoid of charisma in his music. As I described Swindell in my rankings of mainstream country artists last year, he’s like a meal of dry bread and lukewarm water. Does that sound appealing to you? This guy is Luke Bryan-lite and once bro country is gone, Swindell should be gone with it.

So that’s your choices for 2015 ACM New Artist of the Year. What do you think of these motley nominees?

15 thoughts on “2015 ACM New Artist of the Year Nominees Announced

1. Zack February 18, 2015 / 12:59 pm

Wow these suck, I guess if I had to pick between the 3 I’d go with Swindell but still…. Honestly as long as Sam Hunt doesn’t win I could care less about these. Its just depressing to think of all the bullshit that Sam has put out and how he thinks his songs are country. Rhett well, I don’t see him sticking around, or Swindell for that matter. You’re right they both make bland (in Rhetts case, “offensive”) music.

As for those who didn’t get in:

Tyler Farr- Well at least he has “Living With The Blues” and “A Guy Walks Into A Bar”

Brett Eldredge- I’ve met the guy, incredibly nice and his debut album was at least decent

Dan + Shay- Don’t care

Chase Rice- “Jack Daniels and Jesus” or not, this guy doesn’t need anymore things to make him think he’s a god

Kip Moore- Probably the most solid artist here IMO but not really new

And thumbs up for the Stooges analogy! 🙂

• Derek Hudgin February 18, 2015 / 1:06 pm

Haha! Josh wins the day for that analogy. I saw the headline on Twitter, opened the page and saw the picture, and then proceeded to laugh out loud.

• Josh Schott February 18, 2015 / 1:11 pm

Haha thanks guys! The stooge thing just came to me. These three morons fit the description to a T. Although it might be an insult to the Three Stooges since they were actually fun and entertaining.

2. Derek Hudgin February 18, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Christ Almighty… can we write in Brandy Clark’s name here? Sheesh, with the exception of Chase Rice, the rest of the guys who didn’t make the cut would get my vote over these 3 clowns. If I had to choose among Sam, Thomas, and Cole…I’d pick Cole Swindell. I can tolerate “Chillin’ It” and “Hope You Get Lonely” more than I can “Make Me Wanna” and “Get Me Some of That.” And why’s Sam Hunt here? He’s not country.

Overall, this category is a complete joke.

• Zack February 18, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Took the words right out of my mouth Derek. Honestly though if they were going to put a female in there it most likely would have been Raelynn or Kelsea Ballerini….yikes!

• Raymond February 18, 2015 / 1:44 pm

Kelsea would’ve been better than those 3 also one thing how the hell did Maddie & Tae not get considered for this they had a smash hit that people liked unlike any of those other 3. I mean come on Cole can’t sing Sam is not country and Thomas seems like he has the fakest country accents ever. I’m done with the Acms unless Kacey Musgraves Carrie Underwood or Zac Brown Band perform otherwise screw them. Also the worse hosts ever.

3. Raymond February 18, 2015 / 1:53 pm

Here’s my New Artists Top 8
    Maddie & Tae
    Eric Paslay
    Frankie Ballard
    Jon Pardi
    Brett Eldredge
    Kip Moore
    Tyler Farr
    and Brandy Clark.
    Final 3 would be
    Maddie & Tae
    Eric Paslay
    and Brandy Clark
    Now was that difficult. Brandy Clark got a freaking Grammy Nomination but it’s lovely too see the mistreatment of women showing more and more.
    Screw You ACMs

4. Pete Marshall February 18, 2015 / 2:38 pm

I don’t like that at all. Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett, and Cole Swindell doesn’t impress me at all.

5. Scotty J February 19, 2015 / 4:20 pm

As big a joke as the quality of these clowns is the fact that most of the original semifinalists are in no way new. Kip Moore has been around for several years and Brett Eldredge had a minor hit with ‘Raymond’ about three years ago. As dreadful as he is at least Sam Hunt is actually new. If they really want to go down this road they should rename this award to something like the CMAs used to have with the Horizon Award which was for newer acts that had shown substantial career growth in the designated time frame. What it is now is like the kiddie table for acts not big enough for Male or Female Vocalist nominations whom there labels still want to push up the food chain.

• Josh Schott February 19, 2015 / 4:55 pm

That’s a great point too. None of these artists, other than Hunt are new. Like you said they should change the name and requirements of the award. Or they could actually nominate new artists. Maddie & Tae, Jon Pardi and Eric Paslay are three names that come to mind that should have been nominated and are actually new.

• Raymond February 19, 2015 / 5:12 pm

For mainstream artists what would’ve been your guys top 8. I did some research and looking at the initial 8 nominees Maddie & Tae did better mainstream than the following artists
        Dan + Shay the guys who couldn’t get a second Top 20 as Show You Off thank goodness left the charts as it was terrible.
        Cole Swindell is more laughed at then taken seriously. There is no potential in him at all.
        Thomas Rhett’s been around since 2012 so how the heck is he new.
        Tyler Farr would’ve been better A Guy Walks Into A Bar is still a really solid song.
        Chase Rice had a Top 5. Maddie & Tae had a Top 3 song. Also Maddie & Tae have already passed Chase for both of their sophomore singles look at who has possibly more staying power.
        I will root for……………………. an unexplain Maddie & Tae win due to outrage!

6. Pete Marshall February 19, 2015 / 7:00 pm

I quit watching the country music awards anymore because it’s predictable. Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett, and Cole Swindell are jokes. I don’t like any of Sam Hunt’s and Thomas Rhetts songs because they are not country. I like Cole’s new song “Ain’t worth a Whiskey but not the first two singles he had.