Zac Brown Band Announce New Album ‘Jekyll + Hyde’, Along With Tour Dates

ZBB Jekyll + Hyde

With the release of their new single “Homegrown” earlier this year, everyone knew a Zac Brown Band album was just around the corner. Well now we finally know all of the details, along with a release date. Zac Brown Band will release their new album on April 28 and will be named Jekyll + Hyde. And yes after much speculation, Zac Brown Band will indeed cover Jason Isbell’s “Dress Blues” on this new album. In fact you can get it instantly now with a digital pre-order, along with “Homegrown” and “Heavy Is The Head.” The latter is a collaboration with Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell and will make its world premiere tomorrow on iHeartRadio’s Mainstream and Active Rock station. There will also be a collaboration song with Sara Bareilles. Here’s the entire track listing for Jekyll + Hyde:

1. Beautiful Drug
2. Loving You Easy
3. Remedy
4. Homegrown
5. Mango Tree (feat. Sara Bareilles)
6. Heavy Is the Head (feat. Chris Cornell)
7. Bittersweet
8. Castaway
9. Tomorrow Never Comes
10. One Day
11. Dress Blues
12. Young and Wild
13. Junkyard
14. I’ll Be Your Man (Song for a Daughter)
15. Wildfire
16. Tomorrow Never Comes (Acoustic Version)

As for Zac Brown Band’s North American stadium tour this year, it kicks off on May 1 in Nashville. If you’re interested in tickets for the tour visit zacbrownband.com for more information. Here’s the full list of tour dates, courtesy of zacbrownband.com:

ZBB Tour Dates

So what do you guys think of this new upcoming album? Anything stand out? Be sure to weigh in below!

12 thoughts on “Zac Brown Band Announce New Album ‘Jekyll + Hyde’, Along With Tour Dates

1. Raymond March 5, 2015 / 12:10 pm

I’m excited to see what else these guys have in store they are the best mainstream country music group in my opinion let’s see it goes
    1. Zac Brown Band
    2. Eli Young Band
    3. The Band Perry
    4. Gloriana
    5. Little Big Town
    Really 2-5. Are interchangeable to me depens on the mod I’m in
    6. Lady Antebellum
    7. Rascal Flatts
    Really the group portion of country music is strong Rascal Flatts is the only outlier out of them anyways back to the tour and album.
    Zac Brown Band have always sounded both good modern and traditional Homegrown is proof of that looking at the titles they all even like good.
    Thanks Josh for posting so excited for the 0/10 Review I still can’t come up with what the song is.

2. Derek Hudgin March 5, 2015 / 12:16 pm

This is exciting news! Been anxiously awaiting for a new ZBB release!

3. bob March 5, 2015 / 12:37 pm

I have their first 3 cds and I’m really looking forward to getting this new ZBB album. With my favorite artists, I still prefer to get the physical album rather than a digital version. I’m hoping that the rest of the album will be better than the Grohl Sessions – which I was disappointed with – and Homegrown which is OK but nothing great. I’m glad that “Dress Blues” will be included. Great song but I’d much prefer to hear Zac sing it than Jason Isbell. My wife is a big fan of Sara Bareilles so that’s something else to look forward to.

4. NoahHibiscusEaton March 5, 2015 / 1:30 pm

Most everything about the presentation captivates my attention, so that has to be a good thing.

Firstly, the inclusion of “Junkyard” (assuming it’s a reworking of the same song as on their early pre-major label album) caught my attention. Here’s hoping for a kick-ass studio reinvention! ^__^

Secondly, I like Sara Bareilles, so I’m heartened to see her included here. Gauging by the title “Mango Tree”, I’m assuming that’s going to be the “island song” of this set (because, after all, every Zac Brown Band album to date has at least one of those). Those island country songs are hit and miss to my ears to date (“Toes” a winner, “The Island Song” a loser, “Knee Deep” and “Jump Right In” slightly above-average) so here’s hoping “Mango Tree” has more of a clever songwriting twist to it like “Toes” did.

Thirdly, it doesn’t surprise me to see them go for a rock direction on the Chris Cornell collaboration, but it does strike me as intriguing that “Heavy Is The Head” may be serviced as a radio single specifically for rock radio. Eh, whatever, I’m sure it will automatically sound significantly better than most of what is saturating Active Rock radio these days such as the likes of Papa Roach, Pretty Reckless, Five Finger Death Punch and Theory Of A Deadman! =P

Finally, the central concept as implied by the sinister title floors me. Does the title imply that we’re going to see a lot of their dark side come out in some song lyrics; that the songwriting will have more much-needed depth to it this go-around? Maybe this will turn out to be, in some ways, kind of like “Before These Crowded Streets”-era Dave Matthews Band? At any rate, I have to hand it to them for not settling on predictability.

Yeah, they’ve clearly succeeded at making me more interested about this set. Consider it a win.

• Noah Eaton March 5, 2015 / 4:58 pm

Also, I have to say that the cover photography for “Jekyll & Hyde” is vaguely reminiscent of their major label debut’s (“The Foundation”).

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was intentional; as if to say the album is replete with plenty of the musicianship and emotive heart in which they’ve long sold their material and the foundation is still intact, but there are also a notable number of new wrinkles to this foundation that also make it sound foreign in contrast to that album. More depth, perhaps.

Despite the title’s sinister connotations, it could very well mean, rather, that the album actually won’t have a lot of darker subject matter but it’s actually a metaphor for how creatively bi-polar (I mean that with no disrespect to those who are diagnosed as bipolar) they are. I personally hope we get darker songs here, because one of m remaining criticisms of the group has been that they can often be lyrically lightweight (“Homegrown” no exception). That songs like “Colder Weather” remain more the exception than the rule as far as deeper lyricism is concerned.

• Josh Schott March 5, 2015 / 5:04 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think like you said we will get the elements we are used to from them, but also some new stuff. I think working with Dave Grohl broadened their horizons and made them explore new sounds. Plus it appears to have given them the rock bug with at least one song. I’m really intrigued by this album and it could easily be the most ambitious project released in mainstream country in 2015.

5. NoahHibiscusEaton March 5, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Assuming, of course, it’s a mainstream country album.

“Homegrown” may not necessarily be indicative of the album as a whole; at least as far as its sound is concerned. I can easily see this be an “everything for everyone” album, though not in the “monogenre” vein where they throw all these genres into a blender and paste that slurry across all the album’s tracks with no real identity between them. I know the band has a respect for distinction, and they won’t go the monogenre route. But I think we can make a safe bet this will be far from a straight-up country record. In fact, the band has NOT ONCE on record stated they are a country band but, rather, a Southern band. And that is important to always remember.

Still, even if its sound gravitates mostly away from country music, I hope the songwriting mostly nods to the country tradition. I kind of miss the semi-novelty country jamboree style songs that surfaced on their first two major label releases (“Sic ‘Em On A Chicken”, “Mary” and “Whiskey’s Gone”) and hope we get at least one of those or at least a reimagined twist on that kind of song. And I’m confident they’ll deliver on the Jason Isbell cover.

I’m also curious to see if they experiment more into the R&B vein like they did on their “Uncaged” album with “Overnight”. The lyrics to that song were embarrassing, honestly, but the sound and vocals made up for it and I wouldn’t mind to see them tap into that vein more.

• Derek Hudgin March 6, 2015 / 8:58 am

I was also curious if another “Overnight” esc. song might creep its way onto their next album. I agree with everything you said about it, and better lyrics could result in a damn good R&B song. Musically, this group can touch almost anything and succeed. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this album is even more diverse than UNCAGED was… and that theory is why I think it’s called JEKYLL + HYDE. My two cents anyways.

6. Pete Marshall March 5, 2015 / 10:21 pm

I will be buying that cd when it comes out on April 28, 2015. It will have a good review.