2015 ACM Awards – Live Results & Analysis

2015 ACM Awards

One of country music’s biggest awards shows of the year has arrived. The 50th ACM Awards will hit the air at 8 pm ET tonight on CBS. If you don’t have CBS or you’ve cut the cord, no worries. You can also stream it live on CBS’ All Access app. For more information on this, click here. Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton will once again host the show, which will be taking place in Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. Several performers are slated to perform on the show, including Garth Brooks, George Strait and Reba. To see the full list of performers, click here.

Since it’s the 50th edition of the ACM Awards, the academy is going all out for this one. Some of things they do will work well. Other things not so much. We’ll applaud, cheer, laugh and cringe throughout the hours long show. And you should do it right here on Country Perspective! I’ll be posting live results as they’re happening through the night with some snarky analysis for good measure. As for my live commentary and full analysis of the show, I’ll be live tweeting on Twitter. You can follow me at @realcountryview or twitter.com/realcountryview. For those not on Twitter you can simply go to the Twitter link I just listed and hit refresh throughout the night. Derek is also live tweeting the show and you can follow him @DHWritesCountry or twitter.com/DHWritesCountry.

Be sure to check out my predictions and thoughts coming into the show here. I feel better about these predictions than my Grammy ones, as these country awards shows are more predictable. I’m just happy if I get above 50% correct. And hey feel free to throw in your own predictions too. So let’s watch the ACM Awards together and be sure to keep hitting refresh to keep up with all of the happenings of the show!

Live Results

Entertainer of the Year

Winner: Luke Bryan

Everyone thought Miranda Lambert would take this award too, but I knew better. Did you really think some celebrity endorsements would win her the award? Bryan fans are nuts and vote like crazy. It’s the reason Cole Swindell pulled off the upset and won New Artist of the Year. I would’ve liked to have seen Garth Brooks win, but then again it’s kind of a good punishment for him for choosing such terrible singles. So Bryan wins this year and his camp will shut the hell up about last year.

Male Vocalist of the Year

Winner: Jason Aldean

Female Vocalist of the Year

Winner: Miranda Lambert

Vocal Duo of the Year

Winner: Florida Georgia Line

Vocal Group of the Year

Winner: Little Big Town

New Artist of the Year

Winner: Cole Swindell

Pretty big surprise here. I thought for sure Sam Hunt had this locked up, being that he has dominated the charts lately. Regardless all three finalists for this award were a damn joke.

Album of the Year

Winner: Miranda Lambert – Platinum

Single Record of the Year

Winner: Lee Brice – “I Don’t Dance”

Song of the Year

Winner: Miranda Lambert – “Automatic”

Video of the Year

Winner: Dierks Bentley – “Drunk on a Plane”

Vocal Event of the Year

Winner: Florida Georgia Line & Luke Bryan – “This is How We Roll”

To see the nominees for every single award, click here.

10 thoughts on “2015 ACM Awards – Live Results & Analysis

1. Zack April 19, 2015 / 3:16 pm

Idk about you but I think them Floorida Georgea Line boys will get the best Duo award. After all, they is good sangers 😉

Obviously just kidding (though the duo will probably be the only award I get right…)

• Raymond April 19, 2015 / 3:23 pm

Zack female is easy Miranda and Vocal Group LBT now the others are up for grabs. You didn’t predict them?

2. Derek Hudgin April 19, 2015 / 10:42 pm

This show is more boring than it is terrible. I guess that’s a good thing?

• Josh Schott April 19, 2015 / 10:59 pm

I guess so. I would almost prefer a terrible show because then I would at least have plenty to laugh at.

3. Alex Cashmer April 19, 2015 / 11:23 pm

At least Dierks won something…. our of all the winners he’s the only one that won that actually deserved it (granted it was for the music video category). No one has impressed me and it’s sad.

• Alex Cashmer April 19, 2015 / 11:23 pm

*Out of all….

4. Pete Marshall April 19, 2015 / 11:41 pm

thank god I didn’t watch this useless ACM awards show it would be a waste of time. Cole Swindell, Florida Georgia Line and Luke Bryan give me a break.

5. NoahHibiscusEaton April 20, 2015 / 1:23 am

I don’t watch television, so I’m going to have to check out key highlights once they are uploaded to YouTube and share more reflections then.

That said, I’ll provide a few thoughts based on the nominations and results.

Firstly, I’m not at all surprised Cole Swindell won “New Artist of the Year”, and here’s why.

Sam Hunt emerged later in the ACM’s calendar cycle compared to both Cole Swindell and Thomas Rhett. Cole Swindell released his eponymous debut album on February 18th of last year while its lead single “Chillin’ It” peaked at #1 during the first week of March 2014, with its two successors going on to be chart-toppers this past year. Thomas Rhett released his debut album on October 29th, 2013 (!!!) while its breakout single, the title track (and third single overall) peaked at #1 from October 26th through November 9th of that year, while its two successors would go on to be chart-topping hits. “It Goes Like This”

In contrast, Sam Hunt released his debut album “Montevallo” on October 27th of last year: halfway between American Country Music award telecasts, while its lead single “Leave The Night On” peaked at #1 on November 15th of last year.

So, for just less than half of this past year starting April 2014, Sam Hunt hadn’t yet impacted the mainstream, while both Cole Swindell and Thomas Rhett have been consistently impacting it these past twelve months.

Granted, unlike the Country Music Awards, online voting from fans plays a factor into the end result. On the surface, Sam Hunt would have a clear advantage over Cole Swindell there. But, when you take into account the fact the award is “presented to the individual, duo or group who showed the most overall success in the country music industry during the prior calendar year … The factors to be considered include, but are not limited to, success at radio, sales of pre-recorded music, success of music videos, vocal performances, live concert ticket sales, artistic merit, appearances on television, appearances in films, songwriting, success in digital media, and contributions to the country music industry.”…………….then both Cole Swindell and Thomas Rhett would be at a great key advantage there and would widen heavily in their favor.

So no, it makes perfect sense Cole Swindell snagged it. Of course, if I had my druthers, I’d hope the presenter would open the envelope and announce the winner to be “……………………….None Of The Above!” 😉

Secondly, I’m also not surprised Miranda Lambert didn’t snag Entertainer of the Year.

While her presence has certainly been ubiquitous this past year, she is certainly more likely to woo members who decide based off of critical acclaim, and she has definitely remained commercially viable this past year………….there was just no competing with Luke Bryan’s legions of online voters, comparatively leviathan commercial success and monster touring stats. Chances are “Somethin’ Bad” also polarized some members (it sold great, but it underperformed at radio and many consider it one of her worst singles to date).

It’ll be interesting to see when Luke Bryan launches the lead single from his forthcoming album. I figured he’d already have “Kickin’ Up The Dust” (or whatever they intend to release) out in the open by now……….but the longer the clock is ticking without new Bryan music, the more the odds are lessened for another nominee to oust Bryan as Entertainer of the Year come April 2016. Jason Aldean may finally have a legitimate chance at snagging that award if Bryan’s team doesn’t get hustling.

6. bob April 20, 2015 / 9:25 am

Glad I didn’t watch or record the ACM’s – The Awful Country Music Awards.