Remember how I’ve been hinting about a new feature? Well it’s finally here! The first episode of Country Perspective’s podcast, The Country Perspective Show, is right below for your listening pleasure. I’ve been wanting to do a podcast for a while on the site and I finally got around to doing it. As I explain on the podcast, I have a lot of ideas for it. In the debut episode I discuss country album sales and the recent comments made by Luke Bryan and Jake Owen. Warning: I swear a little bit, as Bryan and Owen have made me do several times in the past. Their recent comments get me a little animated. I also discuss future ideas on the podcast briefly. So give it a listen and be sure to weigh in on it in the comments below!

Intro & Outro music by audionautix.com.

Luke Bryan interview

Jake Owen interview

Billboard Country Album & Digital Songs Sales Numbers

24 thoughts on “The Country Perspective Show Episode 1: Introduction, Album Sales, Luke Bryan Comments & More

1. Derek Hudgin July 13, 2015 / 11:59 am

In regards to the album sales portion of the show, what I find most interesting, and what you touched on, is the vast differences between 2nd, 3rd, etc. in comparing the 2nd quarter numbers. In albums this quarter, 2nd top seller Sam Hunt at 199K, which is less than 2nd and 3rd top sellers in Miranda and Luke last year at this time.

I also find it interesting how Eric Church, Brantley Gilbert, and Luke Bryan all have the same albums on both album charts from last year and this. Those albums may just be a collection of made for radio hits, but there’s something to be said for the longevity those albums have compared to lesser tier country artists releasing albums. That might be a whole conversation in itself.

Then with digital songs, Sam Hunt again in 2nd this year at 651k is less than FGL & Luke at 974k last year at this time. Than 3rd and 4th this year (“Sangria” and “Kick the Dust Up”) don’t even crack the top five of last year’s numbers.

Total top 10 album sales this year at quarter 2: 1.504 million. Last year at quarter 2: 1.822 million
    Total top 10 digital sales this year at quarter 2: 4.556 million. Last year at quarter 2: 5.541 million.

Those are some stark differences in total sales from last year to this. Streaming has had a huge effect on the market, and it’s not all that surprising that the likes of Jason Aldean and Taylor Swift have pulled their albums from streaming services.

I’m excited for more podcasts! This is a great addition to the site!

2. Raymond July 13, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Since I can’t exactly use a podcast thing. Can u give me a quick summary of it. We discussed the Luke Bryan incident. Here’s wtat my thoughts were. Luke was ignorant and he basically gave an ignorant statement plus basically gave the middle finger to fans of those artists. Josh check it out in pulse with the discussion it’s with Luke’s latest song

• Derek Hudgin July 13, 2015 / 12:22 pm

It was an incredibly ignorant comment that wasn’t really prompted by anything. Luke just spoke without thinking and proved that he has no idea what the history of country music is like. The interviewer wasn’t attacking Luke’s musical style at all; it was simply fishing for Luke’s opinion on the new wave of musical influences in country. Luke, instead, spoke out of his ass and got defensive for no reason. Terrible comments.

• Raymond July 13, 2015 / 4:43 pm

I never said he was. What get me is Luke saying they all are hung out stoned.

Oh Josh I saw the tweet can’t wait for the Canaan beatdown.

3. Megan Conley July 13, 2015 / 12:19 pm

I love this idea and look forward to more of these. I know it would be helpful if it were on iTunes; I am blind and use a screen reader, and this was very hard to navigate–in fact, I didn’t think I could click it at all. I know iTunes would be easier for myself and anyone else out there who might read this with a screen reader. Just a thought–I know you mentioned that it is a pain to do on iTunes. I had not heard about Jake Owen…he is an idiot, and Luke is a douchebag, but that one we already knew. Interesting that album sales are up, maybe there will be less attention given to radio ready crap.

• Josh Schott July 13, 2015 / 12:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Megan. I’ll definitely consider putting it on iTunes, to ensure everyone can listen to it such as yourself.

4. Danik Gillespie July 13, 2015 / 12:45 pm

Hello, if you really want to hear a quality country song, you should check out “What We Weren’t Looking For” by David James. I always enjoy visiting the website by the way, and I loved the podcast.

• Brandon July 14, 2015 / 6:37 pm

I am guessing you are this David James fella, because that song in no way is country. If it is labelled as country then it is gosh awful..

• Danik Gillespie July 21, 2015 / 10:54 am

I hope we are talking about the same song, because I can’t see the song being labelled as pop…? What would you label it as?

• Danik Gillespie July 21, 2015 / 10:59 am

And no I’m not him

5. Zack July 13, 2015 / 12:50 pm

What an awesome new feature to the site! Thanks for commenting on the Jake Owen story, I was surprised that this story pretty much flew under the radar, I mean yeah Luke Bryan is big and all, but Jakes comments had just as much bullshit as Luke’s. Your thoughts are exactly what I thought when reading it. If there was a station that played all those people, I might listen to radio again. Hell, what we need is a balance, like that fantasy that your portraying there Jake. I’ve lost respect for Jake, a lot of it actually. And God those Luke comments…… Every argument that has been made against Luke is already solid gold so I have nothing to add, but Luke really put his foot in his mouth with this. The thing is, is that there was no reason for the attack on the “Outlaws”.

Man, no wonder we can’t expect people to honor the roots of country, they don’t even know what the hell they are!

Really love this new feature, nice to hear your thoughts on these matters!

• Josh Schott July 13, 2015 / 12:53 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it.

6. Scotty J July 13, 2015 / 2:56 pm

Enjoyed the podcast look forward to more of them.

As for the album sales I think we are heading toward a time where not every act releases an album or at least not in the usual cycle that we are familiar with. Instead they will just release singles that are unconnected to any album. But I would hope that with that we would get to the point where if an act is going to release an album that it is more thought out than so many have recently been. For an album to really be great I think it needs a flow and in my opinion needs to generally be tethered to one genre whatever that may be. We saw this with the last Eric Church album and even more dramatically with Zac Brown album where it bounced from genre to genre and in many ways was never really great at any of them. If he wants to release an EDM song fine than release that as a stand alone single and the same with the rock song. On the other hand if he wants to go all EDM or rock then make an entire album of that. I guess what I’m saying is I hope as albums are deemphasized that they become more of the domain of serious artists who have something to say more than just the way it’s done now with a let’s throw everything under the sun on our only release for the next 18-24 months.

• Josh Schott July 13, 2015 / 4:04 pm

Glad you liked it!

I think your theory about albums becoming “more of the domain of serious artists” is already happening. Last year Lee Ann Womack’s album was about the closest album to mainstream to make our Album of the Year candidates list. This year it’s pretty much the same story, unless you count Chris Stapleton. I don’t, as I feel he’s kind of in-between mainstream and independent. Sure there are outliers like Kacey Musgraves or ZBB and Eric Church in the past, but really this is what separates the talent I see in the mainstream and in the independent realms. Most of mainstream artists don’t care about albums being cohesive and keeping with a consistent theme, whereas on the independent scenes and outside of the mainstream most artists release albums like this. Most of the thinking behind mainstream country albums is coming up with 5-7 single possibilities and then throwing in three to five songs for the hardcore fans to round out the album, with no regards to cohesiveness whatsoever.

7. fromthewordsofbr July 13, 2015 / 5:04 pm

My only complaint is that the intro is a bit long (it’s a minute long) and that you should’ve audio ducked your introduction alongside it after maybe 10 seconds in (it’s when you overlap your voice alongside another piece of audio). But other than that, this is an interesting concept and I’m excited to see more episodes in the future.

• Josh Schott July 13, 2015 / 5:07 pm

I actually meant to audio duck the intro song and my introduction, but it was after I had uploaded it that I realized I forgot. Next episode I’ll remember.

8. krysmile July 13, 2015 / 6:28 pm

Hi Josh!

I thoroughly enjoyed your podcast! What I especially agreed with was how we can no longer turn on a country radio station without gritting our teeth. I can’t make it to work without hearing Sam Hunt and without my blood pressure shooting sky high.

Can you recommend some Outlaw Country, Americana, or underground artists that you do enjoy? I am looking for music to love again. Thanks!

9. Cobra July 13, 2015 / 9:54 pm

Love it. Will this be a weekly feature?

• Josh Schott July 13, 2015 / 9:55 pm

10. petemarshall724 July 14, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Luke Bryan’s comment is uncalled for. I have no respect for him after that comment.

• Josh Schott July 14, 2015 / 8:32 pm

He did apologize though and personally reached out to the families of Haggard and Jennings, so that was classy and nice of him. So I can’t say I’ve lost respect for him.

• petemarshall724 July 15, 2015 / 12:12 am

You’re right at least he apologized and he can be a nice guy which I don’t know him in person yet. He has some good songs in the past but the fame has gotten over his head. Blake Shelton apologize what he did last year about old farts but I still respect him. I should respect Luke what he did just like Blake did last year. Thanks for the advice lets carry on like I wrote for saving country music few minutes ago.