In episode four of The Country Perspective Show podcast, I lead off the show discussing my experience of seeing Sturgill Simpson and Old Crow Medicine Show live. And after seeing Simpson live I now fully grasp the hype of SturgillMania. In the main portion of the show I continue the series of ranking the mainstream country artists, covering what I consider the B-level artists.

Intro & Outro music by audionautix.com.

9 thoughts on “The Country Perspective Show, Episode 4: Sturgill Simpson & Old Crow Medicine Show Live Plus Ranking the B-Level Mainstream Country Artists

1. Raymond August 3, 2015 / 11:29 am

If I can be honest I never got the Sturgill Simpson love. His songs for some reason they’ve never clicked not once and I’ve tried but I just can’t for some reason.

2. Derek Hudgin August 3, 2015 / 12:01 pm

Did you see this Sturgill quote about the Jennings comparisons? “I think it’s psychosomatic. I think people really want somebody right now to sound like Waylon Jennings. They want somebody to walk out on stage with a big, giant flag that says, ‘F*ck You.’ Believe me, it is frustrating, because it makes me feel like I haven’t done a very good job of really getting my [own] voice down. It’s like, ‘Am I not very original in my approach?'”

You can’t help but feel a little bad that the comparisons make him feel that way, because he does kick ass. As you said, “he’s the undisputed best in country music” and that’s all that matters.

And I agree 100% on Lucy Hale. I found her album to be surprisingly good. When I think of good “pop country” that’s the blended sound I look for.

• Josh Schott August 3, 2015 / 12:16 pm

Yeah I saw that before. I think the comparison is pretty stupid and I think he’s clearly different from Waylon, despite a couple of similarities. I really don’t see the comparison much anymore, except from the grumpy old guys I see on other blogs who refuse to accept and shun anything new. Those assholes are just as bad as the mainstream country fans. I wish they’d all just go away. I like to think Sturgill plays EDM music as his intro at his concerts just to piss off those people. Haha!

• RG August 4, 2015 / 10:34 am

Sturgill has much more range in his voice than Waylon had. And I am an unabashed Waylon cheerleader. But Waylon rarely left his comfortable Baritone range. Whereas Sturgill has shown he can go to Tenor and even Alto pretty easily.

I get that is a simplification of vocal ranges but wanted to illustrate that Sturgill’s voice sounds like Waylon’s baritone but he can sing in higher pitches than Waylon ever seemed comfortable doing. And because of that I think we will see Sturgill continue to put out new music with a lot of his range showing through.

3. Megan Conley August 3, 2015 / 12:19 pm

I haven’t paid much attention to Lucy Hale. Your assessment makes me want to check her out.

4. Zack August 3, 2015 / 12:28 pm

You don’t know how jealous I am that you got to see Strugill. He’s coming about an hour away from me on September 20th, and of course, I don’t have a f***ing car yet…… and unfortunately no one in my family would appreciate his music, so that’s going to blow right by me 😦

Well now that my sob story is over, I’ll discuss the rankings:

Tim McGraw, much like Lucy Hale, has that country-pop sound that I can enjoy. There IS room for country-pop, but there shouldn’t be any room for pop-country. Plus Tim McGraw has had some amazingly good cuts on his albums over the years, some of them are actually my favorite songs. Btw, the song you were thinking of was “Lookin’ For That Girl”, I agree, god-awful song. Objectively, I’d put him at an A-.

David Nail’s “I’m A Fire” was ok, but nothing special IMO. Josh, if you really don’t know much about Nail, check out his “Sound Of A Million Dreams” album. It’s by FAR his best work. Have to admit I’m not crazy about his new single, and I kind of suspect you guys aren’t either, but I’ll see I suppose. Brothers Osborne, well, I like their new single, but idk, their style just really isn’t my cup of tea. I have to admit, I was shocked at Brandy Clark. While I respectfully disagree, I give you credit for staying true to your opinion. When it comes to Eric Church, well…… I have to admit that I actually like “The Outsiders” album a lot. I hate “Like A Wrecking Ball”, but other than that I actually like every track on there. Probably my hugest guilty pleasure. Brad Paisley, I have to agree on. “Part 2” was an excellent album. His cover of “You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive” is fantastic!

Another act that I’d give a B, and I know this will make me about as popular as the proverbial turd in the punch bowl, is Kenny Chesney. Now, I know the argument most people here will make: “All of his shit is just Jimmy Buffett ripoffs! Plus can he sing about anything else besides the beach?” And ok, I admit, he wears out the beach theme a bit too much in his music. But honestly, during his “beach period”, he’s recorded a lot of great songs that many point to as his best work. “Don’t Blink”, “Better As A Memory”, “Who You’d Be Today”, “El Cerrito Place”, “There Goes My Life”, “Down The Road”. IMO, he’s great at delivering the more introspective ballad type of music. But his beach stuff does bog down, which is why I’d give him a solid B.

• Truth No. 2 August 3, 2015 / 3:53 pm

The El Cerrito Place cover was just terrible. It annoyed me how badly he screwed up my favorite song. But, I agree he deserves a B overall.

5. Lisandro Berry-Gaviria August 3, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Looks like I might be able to make it to a Sturgill concert in Boston in a couple months. Thanks for the recommendation, Josh; I live up in Maine, so I don’t get a whole lot of artists passing through on tour, but I believe you that it’ll be worth it.

I agree with all the artists you put at B+, except Striking Matches; I haven’t listened to any of their material, so I can’t grade them. Btw Mickey Guyton has actually put out two EPs: the one you reviewed on the site and another called “Unbreakable” in March of 2014.

I’d bump Brandy Clark up to a B+—yeah, she’s written some of Kacey’s hokey songs, as you said, and also “Mama’s Broken Heart” and “Drunk Americans,” but personally I thought “12 Stories” was a great album. If she puts out another album like it, I’ll have her at a solid A.
    Yeah Church is better than quite a few people give him credit for, but I’d still have him at a B-. To be honest, the only two songs I liked on “The Outsiders” were “Cold One” and “Talledega,” and the album doesn’t fit together well at all. And I don’t like his personality at all.
    Miranda I’d also move down to a B-. I really hate all of her “mad girlfriend” songs from early in her career, and the single choices from “Platinum” were disappointments, but I’m sure her divorce will produce some good music. Same with Blake.

I’ll admit I never bothered to check out Lucy Hale’s album, so I guess I’ll take a look at it now. A young female artist better than Kelsea Ballerini and RaeLynn? I’ll take it.
    I agree with the grade on Young, but I have to disagree with your statement that Young “hasn’t had that much success on radio and on the charts lately.” All three singles from “A.M.” peaked within the Top 5 of the Country Airplay chart and the Top 10 of the Hot Country Songs chart, and “I’m Comin’ Over” is shooting up the charts as well, so I don’t see how it backfired that badly. That being said, I don’t think Young will use his voice for “evil.” 😉 I think he’ll probably stick with the sound of “I’m Comin’ Over” at least for a while; appealing to both mainstream and traditional fans.

Looking forward to the C’s!

• Josh Schott August 3, 2015 / 5:16 pm

No problem! Glad you enjoyed it. You should have a blast seeing Sturgill!