The 2015 Americana Awards show was absolutely fantastic. There were many great performances throughout the night and if you follow me on Twitter you got to see all my thoughts on them. If you missed this, go scroll through my timeline on the side of the blog. The big winner of the night in terms of awards was Sturgill Simpson. He won the 2015 Americana Song of the Year award for “Turtles All The Way Down” and won the 2015 American Artist of the Year award. Simpson just missed out on sweeping the big three awards, as Lucinda Williams won the 2015 Americana Album of the Year award. Simpson was not at the show, as he was playing a concert in Virginia. Dave Cobb accepted the awards on his behalf, as Cobb was the producer of Metamodern Sounds in Country Music.
Other awards handed out:
- 2015 Americana Emerging Artist of the Year – Shakey Graves
- 2015 Americana Duo/Group of the Year – The Mavericks
- 2015 Americana Instrumentalist of the Year – John Leventhal
- Keb Mo delivered a beautiful tribute to the legend B.B. King
- Rhiannon Giddens delivered the performance of the night
- Raul Malo said “Holy shit…we won something” when The Mavericks won
- Houndmouth and The Lone Bellow delivered great performances
- MC Jim Lauderdale was fantastic and entertaining
- Too many awesome moments to count!
Be sure to weigh in with your thoughts on the show and performances below.
Sturgill left a message on his Facebook page regarding his thoughts on winning Song of the Year and Artist of the Year and why he wasn’t able to attend the show. A classy post!