2015 CMA Awards – Predictions & Live Results

The 49th edition of the CMA Awards will hit the air tonight at 8 pm ET on ABC. For the eights consecutive year, Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will host. With that said, this means we get to sit through another pointless award show and watch lots of bad performances from pop singers because mainstream country music is ashamed of itself. I’m sure there will many moments where we are face palming and yelling expletives at the television screen. But we’re doing it together! I’ll be posting the live award results right here. As for my commentary and analysis of the show, I’ll be live tweeting on Twitter. You can follow me at @realcountryview or twitter.com/realcountryview. For those not on Twitter you can simply go to the Twitter link I just listed and hit refresh throughout the night.

My predictions can be found directly above the live results. If I get half of my predictions I’ll feel lucky because you never know what backstage politics are taking place for this award’s show. So let’s take a look at my predictions and who I would pick…

Predictions:

Entertainer of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Garth Brooks, I guess…

Prediction – Luke Bryan

Male Vocalist of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Chris Stapleton

Prediction – Eric Church

Female Vocalist of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Kacey Musgraves or Lee Ann Womack

Prediction – Miranda Lambert

Album of the Year: Album I Would Pick – Chris Stapleton – Traveller (Kacey Musgraves’ Pageant Material would be good too)

Prediction – With the big performance with Timberlake, I’m going to optimistically say Stapleton pulls off an upset and wins.

Vocal Group of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Turnpike Troubadours

Prediction – Little Big Town

New Artist of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Maddie & Tae or Chris Stapleton

Prediction – Thomas Rhett

Vocal Duo of the Year: Who I Would Pick – Maddie & Tae

Prediction – Florida Georgia Line

Single of the Year: What I Would Pick – None of these!

Prediction – This one is a complete toss-up, but I’ll predict Sam Hunt’s “Take Your Time” will get it

Song of the Year: What I Would Pick – None of these!

Prediction – Little Big Town’s “Girl Crush”

Musical Event of the Year: What I Would Pick – Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard’s “Django & Jimmie”

Prediction – Eric Church & Keith Urban’s “Raise ‘Em Up”

Music Video of the Year: What I Would Pick – Maddie & Tae’s “Girl In A Country Song”

Prediction – Maddie & Tae’s “Girl In A Country Song”

Live Results

Entertainer of the Year: Luke Bryan

Male Vocalist of the Year: Chris Stapleton!!!!!!

Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert

Album of the Year: Chris Stapleton!!!!!! – Traveller – Producer: Dave Cobb

Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town

New Artist of the Year: Chris Stapleton!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vocal Duo of the Year: Florida Georgia Line

Single of the Year (award goes to artist & producer): Little Big Town – “Girl Crush”

Song of the Year (award goes to songwriters): Little Big Town – “Girl Crush” – Writers: Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna and Liz Rose

Musical Event of the Year: Keith Urban & Eric Church – “Raise ‘Em Up”

Music Video of the Year: Maddie & Tae – “Girl In A Country Song”

Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally (Guitar)

8 thoughts on “2015 CMA Awards – Predictions & Live Results

1. Raymond November 4, 2015 / 2:07 pm

Why Miranda Lambert for female vocalist. She did nothing all she did was bomb her album era. Carrie Underwood had 3 Top 5s in the era. Kacey would be nice as well but radio basically gave her the middle finger.

Also with one win tonight people are optimistically thinking Maddie & Tae might pull the upset in Vocal Duo. I will celebrate and be very happy.

• Josh Schott November 4, 2015 / 2:29 pm

Miranda always wins. Carrie never wins at country awards show. Until proven otherwise I’ll stick with the safe pick.

• Raymond November 4, 2015 / 2:32 pm

Then why don’t you have Blake Shelton for male. Realistically can you see Carrie winning the award. Actually just realized if you take away Kelsea Ballerini from female that is a solid set of nominees.

• Ron November 4, 2015 / 2:53 pm

Because Blake Shelton hasn’t won 5 years in a row. They’ll give it to Miranda out of laziness but Carrie clearly deserves it

2. Lisandro Berry-Gaviria November 4, 2015 / 3:55 pm

My preferences and predictions:

Entertainer
    Preference: Garth Brooks
    Prediction: Luke Bryan

Male Vocalist
    Preference: Dierks Bentley…I should probably explain here. Three of my favorite artists nominated, obviously, are Stapleton, Bentley, and Maddie & Tae, and I’d prefer for them to split the categories they’re nominated in rather than having Stapleton sweep the three he’s nominated in and send Bentley and Maddie & Tae home empty-handed. So in my ideal scenario, I’d have Bentley winning Male Vocalist while Stapleton takes the Album and New Artist awards and Maddie & Tae win Vocal Duo Of The Year.
    Prediction: Eric Church. Bryan will win this if he doesn’t win Entertainer (which is unlikely), but Shelton’s chances took a big hit after his divorce, so I’d say this is between Bentley and Church, with Church winning narrowly.

Female Vocalist
    Preference: Kacey Musgraves
    Prediction: Miranda Lambert. Hey, rules are she has to win at least one major award at these shows, and she has no shot at Entertainer, so she’ll get her sixth win in a row in this category.

Album
    Preference: “Traveller”
    Prediction: “Old Boots, New Dirt.” This is the only category Aldean’s nominated in, so I expect he’ll take it, unfortunately.

Vocal Group Of The Year
    Preference: Little Big Town
    Prediction: Little Big Town

New Artist
    Preference: Chris Stapleton
    Prediction: Sam Hunt (though I wouldn’t be surprised to see Thomas Rhett win, either. Why the hell is he nominated in this category for the second year in a row? How is he considered “new” at this point?)

Vocal Duo
    Preference: Maddie & Tae
    Prediction: Florida Georgia Line. 😦

Single
    Preference: “Girl Crush”
    Prediction: Either “Girl Crush” or “Take Your Time”…you’re right, this is a toss-up, so I’m just going to say “Girl Crush” and hope I’m right.

Song
    Preference: “Like A Cowboy”
    Prediction: Again, either “Girl Crush” or “Take Your Time.” I’m thinking those two songs will split the Single Of The Year and Song Of The Year awards, so whichever one doesn’t win Single will win this.

Musical Event
    Preference: “Django & Jimmie”
    Prediction: “Raise ’Em Up” (correct)

Music Video
    Preference: “Something In The Water.” I wanted Carrie to get something, but now that’s probably out of the question, considering that Miranda will probably win Female Vocalist.
    Prediction: “Girl In A Country Song” (correct)

3. Kevin Davis November 4, 2015 / 4:19 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that Maddie & Tae’s “Girl In A Country Song” won for video of the year, as Lisandro noted.

As for song of the year, I will obviously root for “Like a Cowboy,” though I got a feeling that “Girl Crush” will get it. As for single of the year, I think this is where the CMA will do its (foolish) obligatory nod toward Sam Hunt. After all, the criteria for single of the year (versus song of the year) has more to do with sales and popularity. I would love a shut-out for Hunt, but the CMA knows how to play both sides of the country audience.

I am also hopefully optimistic about album of the year for Stapleton. Since they are slotting him with Timberlake for two songs, it seems that the CMA wants to do this. Plus, the CMA gets a win-win of having a traditional artist who has received legitimacy from a widely-respected pop star. It would be incredibly stupid for the CMA not to give Stapleton album of the year.

4. Zack November 4, 2015 / 5:40 pm

I’m 0 for 2 so far on predictions….Good reason not to waste my time tonight 🙂

5. lorenzofloris96 November 5, 2015 / 10:45 am

I can’t explain how in the hell Miranda won female artist. She didn’t release any album, her singles all flopped at radio. meanwhile Carrie has had three consecutive top 5 hits and two albums released. She totally deserved it.
    On a side note, screw Florida Georgia Line. Fucking nauseating garbage. When they won duo of the year over Maddie and Tae I punched the wall so hard that my hand will probably hurt for a month. my bad, but I really expected Maddie and Tae to blow away that crap.