Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

For those who follow college basketball or just a sport fans in general, you know that we’re currently in the midst of March Madness. 68 teams across the country will compete for the national championship in college basketball. While a lot of people love to watch it, follow it and fill out their brackets for it (including yours truly), not everyone does. But I came up with an idea that I know all of you reading would enjoy: Country March Madness! While the college basketball bracket determines the best team in the country, the Country March Madness has a slightly different end goal in mind. It will crown the absolute worst artist in country music. Behold Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament bracket!

Country Perspective's 2016 Worst Country Artist

The bracket consists of 32 different artist with four unique regions. The committee that determined the seeding and participants are Derek and yours truly. The criteria to determine the seeding and participants were varied, but the main aspects that were considered in making this bracket were the longevity of terribleness, impact on the genre, the horrendous quality of their hits and their overall demeanor in their approach to making music. For example, Chris Lane may have the worst single out right now, but he’s only been around for a very short time and therefore a low seed. On the flip side you have someone like Cole Swindell, who has consistently churned out bad music for a fairly significant amount of time.

I know that there will be some complaints about the seeding and some artists getting left out of the tournament. To that I say: it’s never going to be perfect as everyone has different opinions. I did my best to balance it all out and properly seed each act to produce compelling and fair match ups. If you’re wondering who the first four artists out are (the artists who just missed making the tournament), they are: Jake Owen, Brett Eldredge, Toby Keith and Randy Houser. If you have any questions regarding any of this feel free to ask.

As you can see there are four different regions. In the top left hand corner, we have the Pop Artists Region. These are pop artists who make pop music and label it country. The #1 overall seed Sam Hunt rightly sits at the top and is the favorite to win it all. Below this we have the We’re A Group & We Suck Region. It’s pretty simple: these are country groups that suck. Florida Georgia Line has consistently been the worst group, so they sit at the top of this region. To the right of this we have the Georgia Region. The state of Georgia is infamous for churning out terrible country artists as of late and the majority of artists in this region are from the state. The godfather of bro country and Georgia native Luke Bryan rightly is the highest seed in the region. And finally we have the Good ‘Ol Bros Region. The artists in this region all gained their biggest hits at the height of bro country and some are now peddling Metro Bro music. Thomas Rhett is the poster boy of this music, so he leads this region.

Who will determine the winner? You will! How will you determine who to vote for? That’s entirely up to you! Just remember we’re crowing the worst country artist. Starting later today you will vote on each matchup and determine who advances each round. There will be polls for each matchup right on the site and you will only be allowed to vote once. I highly discourage trying to “stuff the ballot box” by finding away around being only able to vote once. One of the reasons why I chose a worst artist tournament over a best artist tournament is because of ballot box stuffing. I could just imagine the Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert super fans stuffing the polls to ensure they came out on top each round. I don’t see this being a problem in a worst artist tournament.

We will begin with voting in the Pop Artists Region and Georgia Region later today. You will only have a certain amount of time to vote for it, so be sure to cast your vote! This will be included at the top of every post with polls. Feel free to share it with your friends, as I would love to see lots of participation! I hope you all have fun with this and may the worst artist win…

Vote on the Pop Artist Region here!

Vote on the Georgia Region here!

Vote on the We’re A Group & We Suck Region here!

Vote on the Good ‘Ol Bros Region here!

17 thoughts on “Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

1. Nadia Lockheart March 15, 2016 / 1:51 pm

Already have my mind made up for the first round of the Georgia Division! 😉

2. Nadia Lockheart March 15, 2016 / 1:53 pm

You should also designate a name for each conference too! 😉

Like one can be the “Homegrown” Conference and the other the “Downhome” Conference. Or one is the Tailgate Conference and the other the Wallet Chain conference. 😉

• Josh Schott March 15, 2016 / 2:14 pm

I like it! Next year I plan for it to be more detailed like this and maybe even have play-in match ups. This idea just came me to the other day and I ran with it. Next year I’ll plan out ahead of time and make it even better.

3. Tom March 15, 2016 / 2:15 pm

Easton Corbin being in there is a stretch. Same with Cadillac Three and Darius Rucker (hard to classify his country career as anything worse than “not bad”)

• Josh Schott March 15, 2016 / 2:19 pm

Of course these lower seeds are iffy. Hence why they’re so low and matched up against some of the highest seeds. It’s not likely they advance past the first round, although upsets can happen.

• Nadia Lockheart March 15, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Plus, some may feel motivated to vote based upon an entertainer lowering one’s effort or moving in the wrong direction over their recent career, while their rival may be theoretically worse overall but nonetheless is showing signs of recent growth.

Take Blake Shelton, for instance. Many of us know that he provided relative quality earlier in his career, but now hardly seems to be trying whatsoever. Thus, many may feel inclined to give him a demerit because track matters matter.

• Josh Schott March 15, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Exactly. I’m really interested to see how Blake vs Justin Moore plays out. I could honestly see it going either way.

4. Megan Conley March 15, 2016 / 2:47 pm

For some reason, my screen reader will not read the bracket 😦 but this is an excellent idea!

• Josh Schott March 15, 2016 / 2:56 pm

I hope it can read the polls when they’re released. If you can’t let me know.

5. Henry March 15, 2016 / 4:21 pm

How is Steven Tyler such a low seed? I guess he hasn’t been in country a long time but he is so desperate for attention and his music is so bad that he deserves to be a higher seed

• Josh Schott March 15, 2016 / 4:33 pm

He’s only released two country songs and while one is horrendously bad, it’s not enough to get a higher seed. Now if his album is just as bad he’s guaranteed to be higher next time.

6. Frank the Tank March 15, 2016 / 7:36 pm

This is awesome! My first thought was why not a best artists bracket, but you explained in well in the article. Maybe there would be a way to do this in the future. Anyways, I’m off to vote!

7. Amanda March 16, 2016 / 10:07 am

My predictions/hopes for the final 4:

Georgia Region: either Cole Swindell or Jason Aldean

Pop Artists Region: either Raelynn or Chris Lane

Good Ol’ Bros Region: either Michael Ray or Chase Rice

We Suck and We’re a Group Region: Old Dominion

8. theknightswhosayni4 March 16, 2016 / 4:15 pm

Awwwww heck no! You did NOT include TC3 in this bracket! The Cadillac Three definitely doesn’t deserve to be lumped in with the “Worst of Country Music.”

Also, I won’t complain about your inclusion of Granger Smith, even though in my opinion he is one of the best country singers around right now (despite his new album not being up to par), but he definitely doesn’t belong in “Georgia.” Granger is Texas all the way. YEE YEE.

9. Sarah March 16, 2016 / 4:18 pm

This is hilarious! I love all kinds of music and country is definitely near the top (I even go line dancing) but lately I’ve been changing every song in my country radio stations! “Ugh,” I say, as some other crap bro country song comes on, “I hate this stupid song!”

In conclusion, what a fantastic idea this is.