Worst Country Artist 2016 Tournament: Vote on the Sour 16 Regions!

Sour 16 Country Perspective's 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

Welcome to the second round of Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament! We’re now down to the Sour 16 and the match-ups are getting better and better. You know the drill from the first round: vote for who you think is the worst country artist in the match-up. Remember you have until Wednesday, March 23 at 2 PM ET to vote, so be sure to get your votes in! If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments below.

Pop Artists Region

We’re A Group & We Suck Region

Good ‘Ol Bros Region

Georgia Region

13 thoughts on “Worst Country Artist 2016 Tournament: Vote on the Sour 16 Regions!

1. Raymond March 21, 2016 / 1:16 pm

I ultimately decided to vote for Raelynn (Sam Hunt has more talent as a songwriter ultimately then she does singer) Kane Brown (can someone explain to me the appeal, this guy also can’t sing), FGL (no explanation) Old Dominion (same here), Thomas Rhett (song stealing hack, who doesn’t deserve a career in music in general), Chase Rice (at least Brantley is trying to improve), Luke Bryan (he just has less of a singing voice than Dustin), Cole Swindell (Jason Aldean has enough good singles and songs to justify).

But after this round it’s only going to get a lot harder to pick who’s worst, for my decisions it’s always come down to, what’s the best thing this artist has done.

If there was one group I thought you were going to include in the initial round, I thought it was going to be Little Big Town, since you guys weren’t a fan at all of their last album and I think Josh you said you didn’t like their album Tornado.

• Josh Schott March 21, 2016 / 1:23 pm

They created enough good will with “Girl Crush” for me to give them a pass this time. I didn’t think anyone would vote for them for this reason too. If they put more singles out like the terrible “Day Drinking” I guarantee they will make it next year.

• Raymond March 21, 2016 / 1:39 pm

Aw I like “Day Drinking”, Josh, honest question, have you yet to listen to Little Big Town’s previous albums really Pain Killer (IMO) is the outlier when it comes to discography overall, album tracks like “Shut Up Train” “Night Owl” and “The Reason Why” are some really solid stuff. Single wise, they have “Your Side Of The Bed”, “Sober” (that song is how you do love is a drug/alcohol stuff right) “Kiss Goodbye”. So while “Day Drinking” was terrible (I liked it as a guilty pleasure) and “Pontoon” really doesn’t need any explanation they’ve had plenty of good singles and their first two albums since the turn of the decade are really solid.

• Nadia Lockheart March 21, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Little Big Town would unlikely ever make it past the first round of any hypothetical March Badness tournament, in my mind, given their impeccable track record as a record compared to most other mainstream groups. Songs like “Your Side Of The Bed”, “Shut Up Train”, “Kiss Goodbye” and “Night Owl” single-handedly demonstrate why they’re leagues above fellow mainstream groups like Old Dominion.

“Day Drinking” is a clear outlier from what they’ve been capable of as a whole. And I still deviate from many here in my defense of “Pontoon”. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now.

2. Amanda March 21, 2016 / 1:38 pm

For Pop Artists, I voted for Raelynn and Kane Brown. Raelynn can’t sing and don’t even get my started on God Made Girls, that song makes my blood boil. Sam Hunt at least is talented. Kane Brown, I just don’t get the appeal of him. Honestly, he looks like an ogre, and he, like Raelynn, can’t sing. For We’re a Group and We Suck, I voted for LoCash and Old Dominion. Old Dominion needs no explanation, they simply just suck. I voted for LoCash because their music is obnoxious and annoying, even more so than FGL. FGL at least has some decent songs (Dirt and Confession, Round Here is a guilty pleasure of mine). For Good Ol’ Bros, I voted Thomas Rhett and Chase Rice. As Raymond mentioned above, Thomas Rhett is a song-stealing hack. Thomas Rhett is also extremely detrimental to the country music format with his “funky” brand of “country” music. I may not like Justin Moore’s voice, but he at least has some decent songs. Chase Rice is just an all-around sleazy douchebag that makes me sick to my stomach. I like Brantley Gilbert, I think he is very talented. For the Georgia region, I chose Luke Bryan and Cole Swindell. Luke Bryan is my pick because I think it’s sad that when people my age think of country music, they think of this sparkly jeggings wearing, ass shaking, prancing around the stage like a complete moron assclown. I don’t get the appeal of Luke Bryan and I never, ever will. Sometimes I think I’m the only 19-year-old girl who doesn’t think Luke Bryan is attractive. If anything, I think a 40 year old man shaking his ass, singing about spring break like he is back in college, and wearing girl jeans is just plain creepy. I chose Cole Swindell over Jason Aldean because I’m a huge fan of Jason Aldean’s early work. I feel as if Cole Swindell is a talentless hack. He can’t sing and he sure as hell can’t dance. Get back to the merch table, Cole.

3. Cobra March 21, 2016 / 2:26 pm

Bentley Gilbert may be a complete douche, but I had to vote for Chase Rice. Gilbert has at least put put some solid songs in the past, like “Saving Amy,” “You Promised,” “More Than Miles” and “The Best of Me.”

Chase Rice, to my mind, has been completely worthless.

4. Kevin Davis March 21, 2016 / 3:40 pm

Well, I voted for Sam Hunt over RaeLynn. I guess it depends upon how much “influence” is a factor in one’s decision. RaeLynn has had practically zero influence. “God Made Girls” made a short run, and I’ve never heard anything else from her. Meanwhile, I’ve heard multiple hit radio singles from Mr. Hunt and now wannabe Sam Hunt’s, namely Old Dominion. So, yeah, it was easy for me to pick Hunt.

Let’s hope that Luke Bryan fans don’t hear about this contest and start voting en masse. Luke definitely deserves to be in, at least, the final four.

5. Nadia Lockheart March 21, 2016 / 4:29 pm

The only one of these match-ups that was difficult deciding was the Thomas Rhett/Justin Moore one.

On the surface, it would seem like a no-brainer to some: Thomas Rhett…………….on the account of the fact Justin Moore uses traditional country instrumentation and twang and Thomas Rhett does not, and Moore also has a couple standout moments in his discography in the form of “Grandpa” and “You Look Like I Need A Drink” whereas Thomas Rhett only has the halfway decent “The Day You Stop Looking Back”.

But, I can’t help but feel there’s another factor to consider: the genre image factor. And while Thomas Rhett merely looks like an opportunistic interloper, Justin Moore has actually damaged the image of modern country music with his baiting of culture war topics in quite a few of his previous songs. There are songs that have just been mean-spirited coming from his end like “Bait a Hook”, “Guns”, “Old Back in the New School” and “If You Don’t Like My Twang”, as well as Charlie Daniels’ verse in “For Some Ol’ Redneck Reason”, while other songs shamelessly pigeonhole Southerns as tired stereotypes like “Field Fulla Hillbillies”, “Beer Time” and “Backwoods”. Rhett, in contrast, besides “All American Middle Class White Boy”, just seems more blissfully ignorant than anything.

So…………………..I ultimately went Thomas Rhett on the account of Rhett not even belonging on the country format, but it wasn’t easy considering how Justin Moore has made such a mockery of the music he represents.

It isn’t surprising to see Florida Georgia Line beating LoCash right now since the former is much more well known and influential, but I voted LoCash.

I truly don’t mind the duo as much as most here. They’ve still released a lot of lame at best, terrible at worst material…………………but they mostly just seem blissfully ignorant and well-meaning and, also, have already been showing signs of (relative) maturity with “Confession” and “Dirt”.

To their credit, LoCash have moments of promise as well with “Best Seat of the House”, but they’re just more grating on my ears as a whole. Their breakout hit “I Love This Life”, as positive as the message is, sounded so cacophonous to the eardrums with the entire mix being compressed to death and the Auto-Tune being so excessive it makes Tyler Hubbard sound like Robert Goulet. Seriously, you thought Joey Moi was awful, listen to Lindsay Rimes’ production: it’s like Joey Moi on Methyltrienolone. Even “Shipwrecked”, which is actually a fairly decent track on its own, is completely ruined by the synthetic production.

The remaining ones are pretty obvious to me, even though I’m surprised to see the Cole Swindell/Jason Aldean race as close as it is.

Cole Swindell is clearly the worse of the two. Jason Aldean may have the much less likeable personality and some terrible singles to boot, but he has also repeatedly proven he’s better than that by stocking his studio albums with solid deeper cuts. Plus, Aldean has had his share of strong singles as well: most notably “The Truth”, “Amarillo Sky” and “Fly Over States”.

Cole Swindell’s current stab at maturity and depth with “You Should Be Here” is worse than any of Aldean’s aforementioned standout singles and half of the cuts off of “Old Boots, New Dirt”.

• Derek Hudgin March 22, 2016 / 11:17 am

I ended up voting Rhett, but that’s a good point you make on Justin Moore with his reinforcement of some close-minded stereotypes of the south. But I voted Rhett mainly because I think Moore has enough quality to pass over Rhett. “Grandpa”, “If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away”, and “Til My Last Day” are all good country songs in my opinion.

I’ve based a lot of my voting on influence the artists have had in turning country music into what it is today, which is why Luke, FGL, Sam Hunt, and Thomas Rhett all get my votes, and why I’ve voted Kane Brown because his appeal has more potential to influence than Chris Lane’s. (and I think Chris Lane is better vocalist than Kane Brown). Chase Rice and Old Dominion were no brainers for me, and I ended up voting Cole Swindell for the same reason that you spell out.

6. southtexaspistolero March 21, 2016 / 9:00 pm

I actually voted for Chris Lane over Kane Brown…

…because I heard that duet KB does with Chandler Stephens, and I gotta admit I was surprised by how good he sounded. I was expecting some Hunter Hayes soundalike as far as his voice goes, but it wasn’t. He may be a douchebag and his music may be flaming garbage, but if you gave him good songs or he came up on them he might have something. Chris Lane’s just a Tim McGraw knockoff without the good songs.

• NoahHibiscusEaton March 22, 2016 / 2:30 am

I’ll give Kane Brown this: it is telling he’s launching his mainstream career with his version of a heartbreak drinking song as opposed to something resembling bro-country or metro-bro thematically.

We already know Kane Brown has likened himself, in his own words, to Justin Bieber. Therefore, it’s not surprising that Brown is banking on an atmospheric melancholia kind of formula that has also made Bieber a dominant commercial force as of late with “Purpose”. “Used To Love You Sober” is indeed his stab at “Sorry”.

I personally voted Kane Brown only because I view Chris Lane as remaining decidedly irrelevant as a whole. The sales for “Fix” aren’t awful by any stretch, but they’re certainly mediocre and have to be looked upon by his label as disappointing considering he’s riding the coattails of Florida Georgia Line via Joey Moi. I just see Chris Lane languishing below B-star status much like Dylan Scott and Chase Bryant.

Kane Brown, on the other hand, has tremendous hype backing him and will likely make considerable short-term waves. I have my doubts of him having longevity in the mainstream beyond 2017, but I’m betting on a breakout year for him this year. And while lyrically he is by no means the worst out there, musically he is nonetheless reinforcing unfortunate synthetic production elements consistent with metro-bro that will further damage the genre.

• southtexaspistolero March 22, 2016 / 11:15 am

Oh, there’s nothing I can disagree with there, Noah. I actually think Kane Brown might well make his goal of being the next Luke Bryan, just not in the way he thinks — that is, he will be yet another singer with an at least decent voice who wastes it on terrible songs for the sake of commercial appeal.

I hope you’re right about Lane, because God that song was awful, and frankly I don’t see him getting any better.

• southtexaspistolero March 23, 2016 / 9:56 am

“Used To Love You Sober” is indeed his stab at “Sorry”.

I heard “Used To…” on Sirius this morning, or at least part of it. It was okay lyrically, but that metro production just killed the rest of it. I rolled my eyes and went back to Gene Watson.