Worst Country Artist 2016 Tournament: Vote on the Egregious Eight!

Egregious 8 Country Perspective's 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

Welcome to the third round of Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament! We’re now down to the Egregious 8 and the match-ups are getting better and better. You know the drill: vote for who you think is the worst country artist in the match-up. Remember you have until Wednesday, March 30 at 2 PM ET to vote, so be sure to get your votes in! If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments below.

12 thoughts on “Worst Country Artist 2016 Tournament: Vote on the Egregious Eight!

1. Amanda March 28, 2016 / 1:31 pm

My picks for the final four:

Pop Artists: Kane Brown vs. Sam Hunt– Winner– Kane Brown. Sam Hunt is an excellent songwriter and has actual talent, his only crime is the fact that he’s just in the wrong musical format. Whereas Kane Brown has absolutely no talent. I can somewhat see why people are so crazy over Sam Hunt, but I just can’t seem to comprehend the hype surrounding Kane Brown. I don’t get it. I just don’t get it.

We’re A Group and We Suck: FGL vs. Old Dominion– Winner– Old Dominion. At least FGL has one good single (Dirt), one decent single (Confession), and one guilty pleasure single (Round Here) to their name. At least they make absolute stupidity enjoyable to watch as well. They seem like the kind of guys who are just absolutely stupid but would be fun to get drunk with at a party. They just seem like likeable goofballs that you really want to hate but just can’t. Old Dominion, on the other hand, have no good singles, let alone halfway decent ones as well. And the guys of Old Dominion seem to be unlikeable, misogynistic douchebags.

Good Ole Bros Region: Thomas Rhett vs. Chase Rice– Winner– Chase Rice. Chase Rice is the obvious choice here. He has no good singles and only two halfway decent songs in general (Jack Daniels and Jesus, Carolina Can). Thomas Rhett has Beer With Jesus (which I actually like for some reason, it’s well-written and it actually seems that Thomas is trying here) and The Day You Stop Looking Back (another good song, the only crime it commits is the fact it’s just not country).

Georgia Region: Luke Bryan vs. Cole Swindell– Winner– Cole Swindell. Look, I know Luke Bryan has caused a lot of damage to country music. He’s the perpetrator of bro-country, acts like a complete moronic assclown on stage, and has been responsible for some of the worst songs ever (That’s My Kinda Night, Strip it Down, Kick the Dust Up, Home Alone Tonight) and is even responsible for the rise of one of the worst singers ever (Cole Swindell). But once upon a time, Luke actually made some really good music. All My Friends Say is a solid, dare I say great actual country song. I love that song. And We Rode In Trucks, as laundry list of a song as it is, is a damn fine country song. Luke’s first two albums are solid, and I even enjoyed “Muckalee Creek Water” and “Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye” from his third album. Luke actually also has some stage presence, unlike Cole Swindell. Cole Swindell is honestly the most generic singer out there. There hasn’t been a song of his I can say I actually enjoy. The closest he’s ever gotten to that is “Ain’t Worth the Whiskey”, and even that song sucked. He can’t sing and has absolutely no charisma whatsoever. And don’t even get me started on his dancing. Holy shit on a biscuit. When he dances, he looks like an even bigger ass clown that Luke Bryan. Cole Swindell is the clear cut winner of this category.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

• Nadia Lockheart March 28, 2016 / 5:41 pm

Completely agree with you on the Florida Georgia Line/Old Dominion match-up.

I’m honestly astonished the former has a narrow lead in the voting at this time. I think it can be mainly attributed to cultural impact, I’m assuming?

Either way, Florida Georgia Line just don’t seem to bother me as much as most here. To me, they’re more of a Bill and Ted kind of stupid; the kind of stupidity that is still not recommended often, but seems well-intentioned and good-natured. In most of their lyrics, they actually spend more time describing the sights and sounds around them than the actual women at parties, and rarely ever strike me as misogynistic in their framing.

If Florida Georgia Line are like Bill and Ted, Old Dominion are like Pauly Shore and Stephen Baldwin of “Bio-Dome” awful.

The kind of awful that’s just ear-bleeding and in-your-face (at least as far as lyrical content is concerned; their production is calculatingly pedestrian and innocuous) in every way. Their chauvinism and misogyny is just so blatant in many of their early songs, and unlike Florida Georgia Line……………….even in the few moments they’re not that obnoxious like with “Nowhere Fast”, they don’t sound like they’re having much fun.

That one was a hands-down, no second guessing kind of pick for me too.

I did come to a different conclusion on Luke Bryan/Cole Swindell, though.

2. Louis Knoebel March 28, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Went with Sam Hunt, Old Dominion, Thomas Rhett, and Cole Swindell. Pretty easy matchups for me honestly (not that I like any of the acts here at all)

3. Nadia Lockheart March 28, 2016 / 5:13 pm

Two of the match-ups (Old Dominion, Sam Hunt) were easy picks in my opinion.

The remaining two were more challenging: for reasons I stated in the previous thread reflecting on the results of the previous round.

Ultimately, with the Thomas Rhett/Chase Rice face-off, I settled on Thomas Rhett for the reason that he has much more name recognition in the mainstream and, thus, has made more net influence.

As with the Luke Bryan/Cole Swindell face-off, again, I settled on Luke Bryan because he has made vastly more net damage. Both seem likeable enough in real life, but Swindell just comes across as more of a Milhouse milquetoast-kind-of-bad, whereas Luke Bryan is demonstrably more over-the-top at his worst. To my ears at least, over-the-top awfulness is worse than mediocrity most of the time.

4. lorenzofloris96 March 28, 2016 / 7:25 pm

You can call me crazy, but Sam Hunt is actually helping country music: Take Your Time was recently a big hit in Italy and now Remind Me by Brad Paisley, Riser, Shut Up and Fish and Wild Child have entered the italian music video charts. Remind Me is currently at #4 and Shut Up and Fish is at #15 (funny how it peaked higher in an European country than it did in the USA, where it should’ve been a #1 hit).
    So Kane Brown needs to win, moreover he cheated to get where he is!

• SRM March 28, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Are you serious? That is really interesting…

• lorenzofloris96 March 29, 2016 / 4:40 am

yeah! (i live in Italy,) our radio programmers are blown away by Sam Hunt and they are interested in country music now. Moreover, when he was interviewed by a major Italian radio station, he cited among his influences country artists like Steve Earle, Alan Jackson and Travis Tritt, increasing their digital album sales (all of them have an album among the 50 best selling country albums now). I can’t help but consider him very positively after this.

• southtexaspistolero March 29, 2016 / 10:51 am

Yeah. Judging from Hunt’s music, that’s not just a load of shit, it’s a flaming dumpster full of it. That’d be like me making a country album that sounded like a cross between George Strait and Jason Boland and saying my influences were Megadeth and Iron Maiden.

• lorenzofloris96 March 29, 2016 / 3:33 pm

southtexas pistolero
          I know he sounds like anything but country music, but he has undeinably helped those artists by naming them. That’s what I appreciate about him.

• lorenzofloris96 March 29, 2016 / 4:42 am

obbiously we don’t have a country album chart, there’s no market for it here. I’m talking about Italian iTunes country album chart 🙂

• SRM March 29, 2016 / 11:58 am

Well then…that’s cool! Yea for Sam Hunt inspiring people to listen to good music!

5. Louis Knoebel March 29, 2016 / 6:00 pm

Reminds me of the time when I saw Sam Hunt cite Kris Kristofferson and Steve Earle as his major influences for their songwriting. I laughed, cried and barfed all at the same time!