Sam Hunt Wins Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

After weeks of voting and deliberating Country Perspective can crown its inaugural and 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament Champion. Our champion came in as a favorite and he lived up to the billing. He came, he saw and he conquered. You the readers overwhelmingly chose him as the worst. Your 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament Champion…

Sam Hunt Is The Worst in 2016

Sam Hunt!

The big championship finale between Sam Hunt and Thomas Rhett that I thought for sure would be close wasn’t even a contest. It was an absolute bloodbath, as Hunt destroyed Rhett in voting, as he took in a whopping 70% of the vote. Keep in mind Rhett is the same artist that gave us both “Get Me Some of That” and “Crash and Burn.” And he only pulled in 30% of the vote. That’s just how bad Sam Hunt is in the minds of the voters. To think Hunt is only one album into his “country” career and already he’s overwhelmingly the worst according to you the voters. It’s shocking, but then I’ll go and listen to “Break Up in A Small Town.” A minute into this and the shock evaporates. Also reaffirms why we gave it the Worst Song of the Year award last year.

Of course a champion needs a song to be played out on. In the NCAA Basketball Tournament they use “One Shining Moment” to play out the champion. Here at Country Perspective we prefer a different song to toast the champion. So ladies and gentlemen here’s “Friends In Low Places”…….performed by Florida Georgia Line!

Play this nearly five-minute song as you toast Sam Hunt! Once again your 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament Champion, Sam Hunt!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the tournament, through voting, commenting and sharing this with everybody. It was a big success and I was very happy with the voter turnout. It was a lot of fun and I can’t wait to bring it back next year!

Here’s the final bracket:

Final Bracket Country Perspective's 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

7 thoughts on “Sam Hunt Wins Country Perspective’s 2016 Worst Country Artist Tournament

1. Diego April 8, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Exactly one month ago I’ve seen both Thomas Rhett and Sam Hunt at the Country2Country in Dublin and Hunt is absolutely the worst.

(and at the last year edition sadly I’ve seen FGL, Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert and Luke Brian and, yes, Sam Hunt is still the worst)

• Amanda April 8, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Wow, Diego, I feel for you. Guess I should count my lucky stars I’ve never seen him live.

• Diego April 9, 2016 / 2:18 am

Well, in the same festival there was Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves, Ashley Monroe, Dwight Yoakam, and last year there was Brandy Clark and Lee Ann Womack. What you can do for some good music…

• Amanda April 11, 2016 / 10:15 am

Love all of those artists. Guess I could sit through Sam Hunt for that 🙂

2. Matt April 8, 2016 / 2:09 pm

As someone who voted for Thomas Rhett, I’m a little shocked at how wide the margin is here. The guy doesn’t have an authentic or original bone in his body. God only knows what other desperate lengths he will go to in order to become a full-fledged crossover pop star.

I will say that my girlfriend dragged me to a Sam Hunt performance this year (thankfully he was the opener for an opener and his set was < 30 minutes) and I swear the man just stood there while Drake songs played over the speakers for several minutes. I suppose the fact that Thomas Rhett can open his mouth and sing words (however poorly) may have helped him in this case. Maybe that and the fact that he's never rocked a rat tail at a major country awards show, I dunno.

3. NoahHibiscusEaton April 8, 2016 / 7:23 pm

Good. He deserved the dubious top dishonor more than the already bad enough Thomas Rhett any day off of net impact and critical ring, feet and ass-kissing alone.

Granted Hunt hasn’t blatantly plagiarized a specific song to date unlike Rhett to date (yet, at least)……………but to me net influence and prestige carries a little more weight and, when you have someone being deified by the traditional press as “innovative” and “game-changing” among much other effusive praise, yet the material under discussion is terrible regardless of which genre it’s being marketed under between the sterile production, lyrics that split between uninteresting bro-country tropes at best and ugly, misogynistic, arrogance disguised as sophistication at worst, vocals that lack any emotional range or timbre, and overcompressed editing and mixing.

Rhett’s albums fare no better overall…………but at least he is properly put in his place as far as critical stature and context is concerned. Neither of his albums have been critically acclaimed and settle for average reviews at best. Thus, he’s being kept in check by the gatekeepers whereas Hunt is not.

And that is why Hunt truly is the worst of the worst.

4. lorenzofloris96 April 9, 2016 / 3:55 am

Even though I couldn’t disagree more with Sam Hunt being the worst country artist, this site has helped me and a lot of other people to discover a lot of amazing music.
    And no, Thomas Rhett is no way an hard working artist since he was capable to ripp off every damn song in his damn putrid album tangled up: he even ripped off ‘My House’ by Flo Rida on that stupid T-Shirt song.
    Florida Georgia Line is talented? LOL you made my day, go listen to your crappy music in your truck hoping that some girl will climb on it.