The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music [April 18]

Each week I take a look the Billboard Country Airplay chart and grade the top 30 songs. The grading format I use each week is every song will receive either a +1, -1 or a 0. These will then be tallied up for an overall score, or pulse of the current top thirty country songs, with the highest possible score being a +30 and the lowest possible score being a -30. How do I determine if a song is rated a +1, -1 or 0? The rating it received on the site or myself will determine this. If it hasn’t been rated yet, then I will make the call. Songs rated between 7 and 10 receive a +1. Songs rated a 5 or 6 receive a 0. Songs rated 4 or lower receive a -1.

1. Rascal Flatts – “I Like The Sound of That” -1 (Up 1)
  2. Florida Georgia Line – “Confession” (Up 1)
  3. Dierks Bentley – “Somewhere On A Beach” -1 (Up 4)
  4. Cole Swindell – “You Should Be Here” -1 (Down 3)
  5. Chris Young & Cassadee Pope – “Think of You” (Up 1)
  6. Old Dominion – “Snapback” -1 (Down 1)
  7. Chase Bryant – “Irrelevant Song A Label is Pushing That Nobody Cares About”-1 (Down 3)
  8. Dustin Lynch – “Mind Reader” -1 (Up 1)
  9. Tim McGraw – “Humble and Kind” +1 (Up 2)
  10. Blake Shelton – “Came Here To Forget” -1 (Up 2)
  11. Lee Brice – “That Don’t Sound Like You” -1 (Down 1)
  12. Luke Bryan – “Huntin’, Fishin’ & Lovin’ Ever Day” -1 (Up 2)
  13. Maren Morris – “My Church” +1
  14. Thomas Rhett – “T-Shirt” -1 (Up 1)
  15. Kenny Chesney – “Noise” 0 (Up 1)
  16. Jon Pardi – “Head Over Boots” +1 (Up 1)
  17. Keith Urban – “Wasted Time” -1 (Up 4)
  18. Brantley Gilbert – “Stone Cold Sober” -1
  19. Eric Church – “Record Year” +1 (Up 1) [Best Song]
  20. Chris Lane – “Fix” -1 (Down 1) [Worst Song]
  21. Jason Aldean – “Lights Come On” -1 (Up 7)
  22. Frankie Ballard – “It All Started With a Beer” +1
  23. Jake Owen – “American Generic Country Love Song” -1
  24. David Nail – “Night’s On Fire” -1
  25. Justin Moore – “You Look Like I Need A Drink” +1 (Up 1)
  26. Canaan Smith – “Irrelevant Song A Label is Pushing That Nobody Cares About”-1 (Down 1)
  27. Dan + Shay – “From The Ground Up”
  28. Kip Moore – “Running For You” +1 (Up 1)
  29. Tucker Beathard – “Rock On” -1 (Up 1)
  30. Carrie Underwood – “Church Bells” +1 (New to Top 30)

The pulse improved two spots this week.

• Brett Eldredge – “Drunk on Your Love”

• Carrie Underwood – “Church Bells”

Song I Predict Will Be #1 Next Week:

• Florida Georgia Line – “Confession”

• Jason Aldean – “Lights Come On” – Up 7 from #28 to #21
  • Carrie Underwood – “Church Bells” – Up 5 from #35 to #30
  • Dierks Bentley – “Somewhere On A Beach” – Up 4 from #7 to #3
  • Keith Urban – “Wasted Time” – Up 4 from #21 to #17

• Brett Eldredge – “Drunk on Your Love” – Out of the Top 30
  • Cole Swindell – “You Should Be Here” – Down 3 from #1 to #4
  • Chase Bryant – “Song That Will Finally Be Going Away” – Down 3 from #4 to #7

Songs I See Going Recurrent & Leaving The Top 30 Soon:

• Chase Bryant – “Yay It’s Finally Leaving”
  • Brantley Gilbert – “Stone Cold Sober”
  • Chris Lane – “Fix”

On The Hot Seat:

• Lee Brice – “That Don’t Sound Like You”
  • Canaan Smith – “Hole In A Bottle”

• Sam Hunt – “Make You Miss Me”
  • William Michael Morgan – “I Met A Girl”
  • Big & Rich (feat. Tim McGraw) – “Lovin’ Lately”
  • Zac Brown Band – “Castaway”

As always be sure to weigh in on this week’s Pulse in the comments below.

12 thoughts on “The Current Pulse of Mainstream Country Music [April 18]

1. jill April 20, 2016 / 11:05 am

lol @ the Chase Bryant titles

• Ron April 20, 2016 / 11:13 am

Are we sure he, Canaan Smith and Chris Lane aren’t the same person?

• Raymond April 20, 2016 / 11:16 am

They aren’t since I don’t think Canaan Smith can sing as high as Chris or Chase (Canaan has tried but it sounds awful).

• Josh Schott April 20, 2016 / 11:22 am

Might as well be. All three are irrelevant outside radio.

• theknightswhosayni4 April 20, 2016 / 4:14 pm

Chase Bryant actually is pretty damn talented…but his songs are so generic and radio-friendly which makes him so forgettable. Literally…I saw him open for Kip Moore and honestly, I couldn’t tell you one thing about his show. I’m not even 100% sure I really saw him open looking back, that’s how easily I forgot about it. BUT! He actually is a damn good guitar player and has some genuine talent.

2. Raymond April 20, 2016 / 11:15 am

Well I definitely didn’t see “Church Bells” getting a +1. I like the song well enough but it’s so overproduced that it gets a little distracting. It gets a +1 from me at least a little more begrudgingly.

Hey Josh, why do you still have “Fix” leaving soon. It’s not exactly lighting up a fire up the chart but it’s doing fine enough (unfortunately) add in the fact newcomers usually have longer chart runs anyway “Fix” will be staying around for a while.

I really wish Curb would get the message and just give up on “That Don’t Sound Like You” Lee has new music ready so I don’t see the point since I imagine Curb has lost money on promoting this song.

Also, I’m impressed that Rascal Flatts managed to make a #1 out of “I Like The Sound Of That”, especially considering the fact that their past two singles peaked in the 20s. I’m interested to see how much longer they stay relevant since well none of the vocal groups are doing well (Little Big Town shot their momentum with “Pain Killer”, it took forever for ZBB to get “Beautiful Drug” as a #1, A Thousand Horses have zero momentum, EYB is in repair mode, and Old Dominion isn’t selling well for their album despite “Snapback’s” success, Lady A is on hiatus which by the way Josh apparently Hillary Scott is going to have a gospel like song released soon any thoughts?).

3. OlaR April 20, 2016 / 1:02 pm

“American Generic Country Love Song”…lol.
    Still pushing dead songs: “Night’s On Fire” (37 weeks), “Hole In A Bottle” (35 weeks) & “That Don’t Sound Like You” (45 weeks). All with a bullet. The next Chase Bryant single will enter the top 10 in spring of 2017.

2016 is not 2014: remember Chase Rice? “Whisper” (his current single) reached No.56. Bye-bye.

Boy in a Country Song: “Sellout Song” is the new single by Kevin Fowler feat. Zane Williams.

Marie, Marie: love or hate her, but Marie Osmond is an award winning country artist with three No.1 songs in the mid-’80’s. “Meet Me In Montana” went to No.1 in 1985 & won Marie Osmond & Dan Seals the CMA Vocal Duo of the Year award.
    Her new album is called “Music Is Medicine”. The song “Music Is Medicine” is the first single.

Billboard Country National Airplay:
    Re-Entry/44: LoCash/”I Know Somebody”
    Re-Entry/50: Martina McBride/”Reckless”
    Hot Shot Debut/56: Craig Campbell/”Outskirts Of Heaven”
    New/59: Charles Kelley/”Lonely Girl”

Billboard Top Country Albums:
    1 – Chris Stapleton
    2 – Joey+Rory
    3 – Carrie Underwood
    Up: Nelson & Haggard/”Django & Jimmie” (29-9)
    Up: Margo Price/”Midwest Farmer’s Daugther” (19-11)

Billboard Canada Country National Airplay:
    1 – Chris Young with Cassadee Pope
    2 – Old Dominion
    3 – Maren Morris
    8 – Gord Bamford (highest canadian artist)

• Amanda April 20, 2016 / 1:22 pm

“Sellout Song” is so sadly accurate. It reminds me of “Girl In a Country Song” sang from a male perspective. And “Sellout Song” is hilarious, to the point, and refreshingly country, better than many (but not all) of the songs on the mainstream chart: 8/10.

• OlaR April 20, 2016 / 1:53 pm

Kevin Fowler/Twitter: “Getting my Nashville look on for the video…”.

• Derek Hudgin April 20, 2016 / 4:24 pm

“He can sing a song from the heart, but he’d rather be on chart.” I like it!

4. Nadia Lockheart April 20, 2016 / 4:15 pm

Eh, I consider “Church Bells” a 0.

Lyrically I give it credit for having some descriptive quality and actually aspiring to tell a story (as overdone as the murder trope is in her catalog). But “Church Bells” is undermined by Audio Wars and some rather sterile production that is often “Somethin’ Bad” bad.

It’s so odd seeing “Nobody To Blame” still languishing on Mediabase, but this being the second week since it went recurrent on Billboard.