This Sunday we celebrate the biggest music awards show of the years. I’m of course referring to the 59th Grammy Awards, set to air Sunday night at 8 pm ET on CBS. Many of the awards however are presented in the pre-show that’s live streamed online and information for this can found be found here. After hosting for five years, LL Cool J steps aside as host and The Late Late Show host James Corden takes over. Multiple country artists will be performing on the show, including Sturgill Simpson, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban (most likely new single “The Fighter”), Little Big Town (part of tribute to Bee Gees), Maren Morris (duet with Alicia Keys) and Kelsea Ballerini (duet with Lukas Graham). Now let’s get to the predictions! Keep in mind I’m not the best at this prediction game, but I feel like I do a little better each year. The award shows can be unpredictable. And be sure to make your own predictions in the comments.
Note: I will not be doing a live blog this year. I will however be live tweeting it all on Twitter, where you can all of my live thoughts as the show unfolds. Just go to twitter.com/realcountryview to follow if you don’t have Twitter. I’ll also most likely be doing a recaps/reaction post.
Album of the Year
- Adele – 25
- Beyoncé – Lemonade
- Justin Bieber – Purpose
- Drake – Views
- Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide To Earth
What I Would Pick To Win: Sturgill Simpson’s A Sailor’s Guide To Earth of course. Just imagine the outcries afterwards of all the big names that got taken down by some guy from Kentucky who made an album for his son.
What I Predict Will Win: Beyoncé’s Lemonade is the clear favorite I think, with Adele being the closest competition. But with other big names in Drake and Bieber also here, the votes could easily split and lead to Sturgill pulling off an upset similar to Beck a few years ago. I’d be fine with Beyoncé and Adele winning if Sturgill doesn’t, as I enjoyed both of their albums.
Best New Artist
- Maren Morris
- The Chainsmokers
- Chance The Rapper
- Kelsea Ballerini
- Anderson .Paak
Who I Would Pick To Win: Anderson .Paak or Chance The Rapper, as both of their latest albums were awesome. But if I had to pick between these two, I would go with .Paak.
Who I Predict Will Win: Honestly I have no clue here. I could see any of these nominees winning, even Kelsea Ballerini because despite being a complete unknown outside of the country music bubble, Black River Entertainment continues to prove they have a lot of friends in high places. Morris is getting to duet with Alicia Keys and is quickly becoming a darling on the awards circuit. I’ll be content as long as Ballerini or The Chainsmokers don’t win.
Best Country Solo Performance
- Brandy Clark – “Love Can Go To Hell”
- Miranda Lambert – “Vice”
- Maren Morris – “My Church”
- Carrie Underwood – “Church Bells”
- Keith Urban – “Blue Ain’t Your Color”
What I Would Pick To Win: Miranda Lambert’s “Vice” (Anything but Urban’s song, which is ironically exactly what I wrote here last year)
What I Predict Will Win: Maren Morris’ “My Church” due to as I said above Morris quickly become an awards circuit favorite and this single being extremely popular. The other favorite I would think is Underwood, as she’s been a favorite of the Grammys.
Best Country Duo/Group Performance
- Dierks Bentley & Elle King – “Different For Girls”
- Brothers Osborne – “21 Summer”
- Kenny Chesney & P!nk – “Setting The World on Fire”
- Dolly Parton & Pentatonix – “Jolene”
- Chris Young & Cassadee Pope – “Think of You”
What I Would Pick To Win: Woof this category is rough. I guess I would go with “21 Summer.”
What I Predict Will Win: Dierks Bentley & Elle King’s “Different For Girls” because apparently people are okay with stereotypical bullshit and really think this is some deep song.
Best Country Song
- Keith Urban – “Blue Ain’t Your Color” (Clint Lagerberg, Hillary Lindsey & Steven Lee Olsen)
- Thomas Rhett – “Die A Happy Man” (Sean Douglas, Thomas Rhett & Joe Spargur)
- Tim McGraw – “Humble and Kind” (Lori McKenna)
- Maren Morris – “My Church” (Maren Morris & busbee)
- Miranda Lambert – “Vice” (Miranda Lambert, Shane McAnally & Josh Osborne)
What I Would Pick To Win: Tim McGraw’s “Humble and Kind” (Not Urban or Rhett)
What I Predict Will Win: Any of these have a great shot at winning I think. But I think they’ll go with “Humble and Kind” or “Vice.”
Best Country Album
- Brandy Clark – Big Day in a Small Town
- Loretta Lynn – Full Circle
- Maren Morris – Hero
- Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide To Earth
- Keith Urban – Ripcord
What I Would Pick To Win: Sturgill Simpson’s A Sailor’s Guide To Earth
What I Predict Will Win: A Sailor’s Guide To Earth is pretty much a lock here, with Simpson getting an overall Album of the Year nomination and a performance slot.
Best American Roots Performance
- The Avett Brothers – “Ain’t No Man”
- Blind Boys of Alabama – “Mother’s Children Have a Hard Time”
- Rhiannon Giddens – “Factory Girl”
- Sarah Jarosz – “House of Mercy”
- Lori McKenna – “Wreck You”
What I Would Pick To Win: Rhiannon Giddens – “Factory Girl”
What I Predict Will Win: The Avett Brothers – “Ain’t No Man”
Best American Roots Song
- Robbie Fulks – “Alabama at Night” (Robbie Fulks)
- Jack White – “City Lights” (Jack White)
- Roddie Romero And The Hub City All-Stars – “Gulfstream” (Eric Adcock & Roddie Romero)
- The Time Jumpers – “Kid Sister” (Vince Gill)
- Lori McKenna – “Wreck You” (Lori McKenna & Felix McTeigue)
What I Would Pick To Win: Lori McKenna – “Wreck You”
What I Predict Will Win: Jack White – “City Lights”
Best Americana Album
- The Avett Brothers – True Sadness
- William Bell – This Is Where I Live
- Kris Kristofferson – The Cedar Creek Sessions
- Lori McKenna – The Bird & The Rifle
- The Time Jumpers – Kid Sister
What I Would Pick To Win: Lori McKenna – The Bird & The Rifle
What I Predict Will Win: William Bell – This Is Where I Live